- Community Hub
- Canvas Instructor
- Instructor Guide
How do I assign an assignment to a course group?
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Printer Friendly Page
- Report Inappropriate Content
- instructor guide
- Canvas Resources View All Canvas Resources
- Canvas Release Notes Learn about new and updated Canvas features.
- Ask a Question Post your question to get help from fellow Community members.
- Explore Groups Find others who share your interests and share your own experiences.
in Instructor Guide
Note: You can only embed guides in Canvas courses. Embedding on other sites is not supported.
How to create group assignments in Canvas
CREATE GROUP ASSIGNMENTS
Here are instructions to first create a Group Set and individual Groups and then create the Group Assignment.
Create a Group Set:
1. Click on People in the Course Navigation menu.
2. Click on the +Group Set button.
3. In the Create Group Set pop-up, enter the name for the Group Set, select options as needed, then click Save .
Create Groups for the Group Set:
1. Click on People in the Course Navigation menu.
2. Click on the tab for the Group Set.
3. Click on +Group .
4. Enter the name of the group, the limit of students that can be in the group, then click Save .
5. Create as many groups as needed.
6. Drag and drop students from the Unassigned Students list into their respective groups.
Create the Group Assignment:
1. Click Assignments in the course Navigation menu.
2. Click +Assignments .
3. Enter the Assignment name, Points, etc and select This is a Group Assignment .
4. Leave Assign Grades to Each Student Individually unchecked unless each member of a group will receive an individual grade.
5. Select the Group Set .
6. Click on the Assign To box, select one of the Groups you created, enter a Due date and Available From and Until Dates.
7. To assign the Assignment to additional groups click on the +Add button and repeat step 6.
8. Once the Assignment is assigned to all groups, click on the Save & Publish button.
If you have more questions about this, email [email protected] or call 864-656-3494.
Canvas How-To: Groups
Section menu close, office of academic technology.
- Canvas Protocols
- Faculty Ambassadors for Canvas
- External LMS User Requests
- Canvas Basics
- ⚙ Ally & Accessibility
- ⚙ Analytics
- ⚙ Announcements
- ⚙ Assignments
- ⚙ Attendance
- ⚙ Closing Courses & Incompletes
- ⚙ Collaborations
- ⚙ Combine Courses
- ⚙ Discussions & Discussions Plus
- ⚙ Group Assignments
- ⚙ Inbox & Messaging
- ⚙ Journals, Blogs, & Wikis
- ⚙ Extra: Create Tabs on a Page
- ⚙ Panopto Recordings
- ⚙ People, Rosters, & Roles
- ⚙ Profile & User Settings
- ⚙ New Quizzes
- ⚙ SpeedGrader
- ⚙ Turnitin Assignments
- ⚙ Video-Based Assessments
- ⚙ VoiceThread Group Projects in Canvas
- ⚙ Zoom in Canvas
- Instructional Technology
- Online Course Design
- Training Opportunities
- OAT Updates & Tech Tips
- Copyright & the TEACH Act
Understanding Group Sets and Groups
Groups and Group Sets help instructors organize students into teams. At least one Group Set must exist before any Groups can be created.
A Brief Analogy
Group Set = A filing cabinet Group = A drawer in the filing cabinet Member = A hanging folder in the drawer
Important: Group activities in Canvas are assigned and associated with the filing cabinet , not the individual drawers (see below). Just as an office can have many filing cabinets, a Canvas course can have many Group Sets. Students can be members of multiple Group Sets but can be a member of only one group per set.
Create a Group Set
Open the People page  . Next, click the "+ Group Set" button  . Configure the group set. It is not necessary to create the groups at this point. The groups can be created later if necessary by returning to the People page and clicking the name of the Group Set above the course roster.
How do I add a group set in a course?
How do I manually create groups in a group set?
How do I manually assign students to groups?
Creating Groups and Assigning Students Automatically
Use the Group Structure area to specify how the groups will be structured, and where the students will be placed.
How do I automatically create groups in a group set?
Enabling Self-Sign Up Groups
Enabled students to join the group of their choosing by ticking the checkbox and setting the maximum number of people per group.
How do I create self sign-up groups in a group set?
Making an Assignment a Group Assignment
You can create a group assignment by using the Group Assignment checkbox. Canvas uses group sets to assign group assignments, and each group within the group set that is assigned to the assignment is required to complete the assignment. All groups will complete the assignment using the same due date.
Note: It is not possible to use individual groups as the basis for differentiated assignments, such as assigning an activity only to a single group or configuring unique due dates for specific groups. Only Group Sets can receive special settings in assignments.
How do I assign an assignment to a course group?
Making a Discussion a Group Discussion
You can create a single prompt and have groups to discuss it, either as a graded or ungraded activity. Simple associate the discussion with an existing Group Set (or create a new one on-the-fly).
Be sure the Group Set has Groups before you open the discussion activity to students!
How to Create a Group Discussion
On the settings page of the discussion, check the box "This is a Group Discussion"  . Then, open the Group Category menu to select the Group Set that will govern the group organization for the activity  . Alternatively, click the "New Group Category" button if you would like to create the Set to be used by the discussion.
Important: Students must be placed into a Group in order to properly participate. Students who are not in a group can still post, but the posts are only visible to the instructor and other students not in a group.
How Students Participate in a Group Discussion
To participate, students click the link for the Discussion activity and begin posting. They are automatically participating in their group and do not need to do anything special to "enter" or "join" the discussion. Students cannot view other groups' posts.
How Instructors Monitor a Group Discussion
Instructors can get an overview of activity in the groups by opening the discussion activity link and viewing the information at the top of the page. New posts are indicated in the badges on the far right. To view a group's discussion, click the link for the group on the left.
Viewing Another Group
After reading one group's discussion, click the "Home" link in the left navigation menu and then click the breadcrumb link for the course at the top of the page to return to the home page. Find the main link for the discussion and re-enter it. Sorry, this is really an area where Canvas could be improved.
Viewing and Monitoring Group Activity
As an instructor, you can view what is happening in groups by viewing each user group from the People page of the course. You can view student activity within the group and view group-created content. You can also access student groups to create group collaborations and add other group-specific content if necessary.
How do I view content and student activity within a group as an instructor?
Updated: October 11, 2022
TC Technology Knowledge Base
- Create a Group Assignment with randomly assigned students in Canvas
Updated on Dec 24, 2022
1. In your course, click People on the left side menu.
2. To create groups of the students in your class, click +Group Set.
3. Have Canvas create the randomly assigned groups
3.1. enter a group set name., 3.2. under group structure, enter the number of groups you want to create., 3.3. click save and all the students in your course will be randomly assigned to the groups.
4. Create an assignment to assign to the group
4.1. click assignments on the left side menu., 4.2. click add + assignment on the top right hand side..
4.3. Scroll through the assignment options and check the box next to This is a Group Assignment and then assign the group category you created.
Canvas for Faculty
- Find your Canvas course
- Get Canvas help
- Set your Canvas notifications
- Add a profile picture to Canvas
- Add an event to the Canvas calendar
- Change what courses appear on your Canvas Dashboard
- Move course cards on your Canvas Dashboard
- Change the nickname of a Canvas course
- Add an image to your Canvas course card
- View your Canvas course as a student
- Share a link to a Canvas course
- Download a student roster in Canvas
- Send a message to all course users in Canvas
- Sign into the Canvas Teacher app with a TC UNI (Instructor)
- Create appointment slots in the Canvas calendar
- View student activity on the Canvas People page
- Delete Announcements in Canvas
- Add a syllabus to your Canvas course
- Create an announcement in Canvas
- Create a module in Canvas
- Add an item to a module in Canvas
- Add a file to a module in Canvas
- Make a video for a module in Canvas
- Move items within a Canvas module
- Indent a module item in Canvas
- Create a page in Canvas
- Add a website link to a page in Canvas
- Allow file attachments in Canvas Discussions
- Set the front page of a Canvas course
- Change the home page of a Canvas course
- Change sharing settings for a Google Doc collaboration in Canvas
- Upload files to a Canvas course
- Link to a Canvas course file within a page
- Upload a file directly to a page in Canvas
- Recover deleted course content in Canvas
- Embed a Google Doc Syllabus in your Canvas course
- Replace a PDF Syllabus in Canvas
- Upload and Embed a PDF Syllabus in Canvas
- Delete Content in Canvas
- Create a folder in the Files section of Canvas
- Publish and unpublish an item or module in Canvas
- Publish a Canvas course making it viewable to students
- Find your Canvas Gradebook
- Arrange columns in the Canvas Gradebook
- Enter a grade with SpeedGrader in Canvas
- Change the status of a grade in Canvas
- Leave a comment in the Canvas Gradebook
- Create a quiz with individual questions in Canvas
- Give extra time for a quiz in Canvas
- Assign a different quiz date and time to students in Canvas
- Create a survey in Canvas
- View anonymous survey results in Canvas
- Show a link on your Canvas Course Navigation
- Hide and reorder Canvas Course Navigation links
- Change your Canvas course end date
- Change your Canvas course start date
- Set Home Page as the Modules Page in Canvas
- Enable Attendance in Canvas
- Add a TC Student (Participating Auditor) to your Canvas course
- Add a TC Student to a non-Banner Canvas course
- Accept Canvas course invitation without a TC UNI
- Reset your Canvas password
- Set your site settings to address problems recording in Canvas
- Receive an Undelivered Message in Canvas
- View average course grade analytics in Canvas' New Analytics
- Compare the Canvas course average with an assignment, section, or student in New Analytics
- Compare Student Course Grade to Course Average in Canvas
- Identify and Email Students in Canvas Based on Assignment Grades
- View weekly online activity analytics in Canvas' New Analytics
- Send a message to a student who has not viewed or participated in a Canvas resource
- Student Level Analytics in Canvas
- Quiz Analytics in Canvas
- Turn on Honorlock for a Canvas Quiz
- Create a Practice Quiz in Honorlock
- Enable automatic assignment of student peer reviewers for an existing assignment in Canvas
- Manually assign peer reviewers to an existing assignment in Canvas
- Add an assignment to an Assignment Group in Canvas
- Create a rubric in Canvas
- Create a Canvas Assignment
- Assign an assignment to individual students in Canvas
- Replace the cover image in the Home Page welcome presentation with the Canvas Template
- Replace a faculty picture in the Canvas Template
- Set a cover video in the Canvas Course Template Welcome presentation
- Upload a course introduction video on the Home Page with the Canvas template
- Edit text information on a Canvas template homepage
- Set the front page of a Canvas course with Canvas Template
- Replace Home Page module thumbnail images with Canvas Template
- Embed a Padlet for student introduction on the Home Page with Canvas Template
- Edit the Course Schedule in the Canvas template
- Import a past Canvas course in a new course
- Import the Course Template and pre-populate using the Canvas Template Builder
- Enable the universal template in your Canvas course
- Fix a broken homepage thumbnail link
- Create a custom built Overview page using Canvas template
- Link learning activities to the Overview page in the Canvas template
- Remove sections of the Overview page in the Canvas template
- Customize activity rows in the Overview page of the Canvas template
- Embed a video to the Overview page in the Canvas template
- Teaching Resources
- Instructional Best Practices
How do I create Groups in Canvas?
What are groups, creating group sets.
From the course menu, select the People tab. You will then create a "Group Set" with a specific name, such as the assignment name. You can also select an existing Group Set if already created. For a detailed tutorial, please see the Canvas Guide How do I add a group set in a course?
Creating Project Groups within a Group Set
Instructors choose to assign individuals to project or working groups in one of three ways:
- Manually - Once you have created groups, you can drag the students from the student list into the Group you wish to put them in. The following Canvas guide shows you exactly how to drag student names: How do I manually assign students to groups
- Automatically - Canvas can automatically sort students into groups during the creation process. Refer to the Canvas Guide How do I automatically create groups in a group set? to create groups automatically. It shows you how to create a Group Set first, (required).
- Student Self-Signup - Students can also sign themselves up and create their own groups. Refer to How do I create self sign-up groups in a group set? to create groups that allow students to self-assign to existing groups.
- SLCC Online recommends that instructors post detailed instructions in Canvas for students, including links to Canvas guides, to ensure students can do this successfully. See the Canvas Guide: How do I create self sign-up groups in a group set? , How do I join a group as a student?
- Canvas will allow the instructor to create as many different groups as desired and assign each named group to different assignments. (Not recommended due to difficulty in setup.)
- Groups and configurations do not transfer from semester-to-semester in Canvas courses and must be remade each semester.
- When groups are created, Canvas notifications will alert students, as with when assignments are created.
Using Assignments with course groups
Additional notes regarding group assignments: .
- Existing assignments are accessed through the Assignments tab. Click the assignment name and then the Edit icon. Remember always to save your changes.
- Scroll through the settings options and look for the checkbox labeled I will assign grades individually. (Not recommended.) Leave this box unchecked to allow the instructor to grade one submission and have the grade automatically given to all group members.
- The first student in a group to submit an assignment is alerted that their submission will count for their entire group.
- If an Instructor chooses to grade individually and check the box, it is necessary to go to each student's Gradebook column/box and enter a score manually.
- Instructors have the option to return to the Gradebook later to adjust individual grades up or down.
Get in Touch
- Skip to Content
- Skip to Main Navigation
- Skip to Search
Indiana University Indiana University IU
- Get Started
- Creating & delivering content
- Assignments & feedback
- Communicating & facilitating activities
- Assessing learning
- Tools & Resources
- Coronavirus at IU
Facilitating group work using canvas.
Group projects, presentations, demonstrations, and similar assignments can be valuable learning experiences for students as collaboration affords shared knowledge building amongst peers. The following process is a straightforward approach to structuring group work via Canvas. For more complex tasks, consider adding additional guidance and checkpoints to ensure high-quality final products.
Note: Due to physical distancing requirements in our current teaching and learning situation, group work should be conducted primarily online.
- Instead of randomly assigning students to groups, consider constructing groups based on students' availability. You can either ask students to provide their typical availability via a Canvas Quiz then manually assign them to a group or allow them to self sign-up to a group based on their schedules.
- Creating groups via People automatically provides a space in Canvas for students to coordinate their work and allows you to collect one deliverable per group.
- You may allow students to complete projects using non-IU technologies, but to ensure access and support equity, always provide a basic process that only requires IU supported technologies.
- The complete set of instructions and grading criteria are provided in the Assignment description.
- Submission type is set to "Online" and the appropriate "Online entry options" are selected.
- If you would like the ability to assign different scores to students in the same group or provide differentiated feedback, select the "Assign grades to each student individually" checkbox.
- A due date is set and matches the information provided in the course syllabus.
- If an availability date is set, it is at minimum two weeks before the due date.
Note: If the assignment is a paper or essay, you may wish to enable Turnitin Plagiarism Review .
- This could be a graded or ungraded assignment. The intention is to create accountability for progress as well as an opportunity for formative feedback from the instructor.
- Consider if you would like to provide individual or group feedback at this checkpoint then select the appropriate options when creating the assignment in Canvas.
- If eliciting feedback via an Assignment, do not select "This is a Group Assignment." Consider setting "Display grade as" option to Complete/Incomplete for ease of grading.
- If eliciting feedback via the Quizzes tool, select the "Graded Survey" for the Quiz type. Collecting feedback via a Graded Survey allows you to provide points for completion and view student survey responses in Speedgrader .
Note: If collaboration and/or joint knowledge construction are not germane to the course learning outcomes, consider modifying the task to an individual project or presentation in efforts to reduce the logistical coordination and psychological load required in group work.
You can create a group assignment by using the Group Assignment checkbox. Canvas uses group sets to assign group assignments, and each group within the
How to create group assignments in Canvas · 1. Click on People in the Course Navigation menu. · 2. Click on the +Group Set button. · 3. In the
This 1CoolThing video describes how to create a group assignment within Canvas LMS so when you grade 1 student assignment, it applies the
A CEE Tutorial video.
You can create a group assignment by using the Group Assignment checkbox. Canvas uses group sets to assign group assignments, and each group
1. Click Assignments in the Course Navigation Menu. · 2. Click on the name of the assignment that you would like to add to an Assignment Group.
1. In your course, click People on the left side menu. · 2. To create groups of the students in your class, click +Group Set. · 3. Have Canvas
From the course menu, select the People tab. You will then create a "Group Set" with a specific name, such as the assignment name. You can also select an
Instead of randomly assigning students to groups, consider constructing groups based on students' availability. · Creating groups via People automatically